Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Olympic Peninsula, Portland and Seattle

I really should've broken this blog entry into individual locations, days or places, but that wasn't going to happen when i'm unmotivated and taking an excessive amount of photos that still aren't completely edited.

Here are my first few legs of my Pacific Northwest adventure - flew into Seattle, headed Northwest to the Olympic Peninsula via ferry and the famed 101 highway through Port Angeles, into Forks, La Push, and then stopping the night at Lake Quinault (the southern part of the olympic mountain range). We eventually made it into Portland and then of course, back to Seattle for my conference (and others enjoyment).

Map of the first leg. Drive back was straight up I-5
Rachel, Lisa and I riding the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry
First meal in Washington State - salmon fish tacos fresh from the water, asian slaw and seasoned fries. This meal is forever engraved in my mind.
Crescent Lake - the drive from Port Angeles to Forks hugs the side of this lake. It was the most gorgeous drive and super windy. 20 minutes Bella? I think that's an exaggeration.
Bella's truck! Edward's in the passenger seat? I don't think so...
Foggy first beach in La Push! Werewolves? No just happy dogs.
Lake Quinault - reminded me of Scotland. that says a lot.

The best biscuit sandwich ever in Portland, OR- this one's rachel's, I had one sans meat and plus collard greens. Although Portland was the land of the hipster/hobo - they sure know how to eat.

The Japanese Garden at Washington Park, OR. Top of the hills and an amazing representation of the area's trees and plant life.

SEATTLE!

Awesome clam chowder at Pike Market

Crab Pot! The messiest, but most fun meal we had.

Last meal at Cafe Dahlia (everything was AMAZING) - freshly made doughnuts topped off the meal and made us mourn our departure the next day.

All in all, a great trip with some amazing food. It always makes me sad to leave the west coast. I don't know what that says, but probably something about the lifestyle in New York. Love the city i grew up in, but sometimes you crave the unfamiliar.

Who knows how i'd feel in a city as small as Portland and Seattle. Would it be the same people or types of people over and over again? Sometimes, I think NYC is so big that you never really experience anything completely, without distraction, because of it. Something to ponder further...someone needs to move to the Pacific NW and give me their opinion.

Stay tuned for Vancouver!

0 Comments: